Backup Commands in Linux & Unix with Usage and Examples
Backup restore using cpio command
1. Used for single or multiple files backup .
2. Can backup special character & block device files .
3. Works only on mounted file system.
4. Need a list of files to be backed up .
5. Preserve hard links and time stamps of the files .
Using cpio command to back up all the files in current directory to tape.
find . -depth -print | cpio -ovcB > /dev/rmt/0
cpio expects a list of files and find command provides the list, cpio has to put these file on some destination and a > sign redirect these files to tape. This can be a file as well .
Viewing cpio files on a tape
cpio -ivtB < /dev/rmt/0
Restoring a cpio backup
cpio -ivcB < /dev/rmt/0
Compress/uncompress files :
You may have to compress the files before or after the backup and it can be done with following commands .
click for full options and details of GNU cpio