Unix Tech Tips
3. Backup commands – ufsdump , tar , cpio
1. Used for complete file system backup .
2. It copies every thing from regular files in a file system to special character and block device files.
2. It can work on mounted or unmounted file systems.
1. Used for single or multiple files backup .
2. Can’t backup special character & block device files .
3. Works only on mounted file system.
Identifying the tape device
dmesg | grep st
Checking the status of the tape drive
mt -f /dev/rmt/0 status